If you have been selected for a complete degree at the University of Porto you should start looking for a place to live in. There are several types of accommodation you can choose from, depending on your personal preferences and on your budget.
Private Halls of residence
As the interest in student accommodation escalates, private companies have established themselves in Porto with a high number of rooms for rent in the short and long term. In 2019, 800 new beds will be available for renting in the Asprela District, where the Faculty of Engineering is located. It is predicted that in 2020 other companies start to operate with around 1500 new beds. These are luxury halls of residence, very close to FEUP and with na interesting pack of services included. Prices may range between 435EUR (shared room) up to around 700 EUR (single room).
- Almada 234 – No booking fee. 15% discount on the best available rate (referred to as BAR – Best available Rate).
- Livensa Living (30% off on the booking fee for FEUP students; this company also promotes scholarships – see all information here).
- LIV Student Oporto Polo Universitário 20% discount on booking fee for FEUP students and LIV Student Oporto Campus Street– 50% discount on booking fee for FEUP students, find out here more information.
- MILESTONE Porto Asprela – (100% off on the booking fee for FEUP students – use the promo code FEUP2022).
- U.hub Asprela (no booking fee; check here the current offer to FEUP students).
- Studyou Porto Asprela – Check here the promotional action in force for the FEUP community.
- The Barons Residence and The Gallery Residence – No reservation fee. 10% discount on tuition fees throughout the year for FEUP students. Tuition includes: Personal Coach Service, access to U-Qualify content, access to all in-house events, free photocopies (50 per month A4 format b/w), access to all common areas, high-speed internet , water and energy and weekly cleaning. Residences by U-World provide a covid-free protocol as a safeguard for the safety of residents.
You may rent an apartment on your own, or if you want to save money you can share it with colleagues; in the beginning, the easiest solution is to rent a room inside an apartment where all rooms are rented to students just like you.
Prices vary according to the location and conditions offered. Students are normally asked to pay two months’ rent in advance. As a consequence of the enourmous tourist boom and the raise in the number of international students in the city of Porto, prices have increased in the last two years, but are still low comparing to the capital Lisbon or the main European cities.
There are several ways to look for a flat:
- strategic locations including notice boards at the university poles, or in shopping malls, cafés, newsagents, etc
- newspaper advertisements
- websites such as:
UniPlaces – Use the promo code FEUP10 to get 25% discount on service charges.
Flat in Porto
While looking for the ideal place to live, there are several hostels in Porto where you can stay. Visit this website for more information.
University Halls of residence
The Social Services of the University of Porto (SASUP) provide, in the three university poles, nine halls of residence with limited capacity and specially directed to students with financial difficulties. There are usually long waiting lists for this type of accommodation. For more information and contact please check on: sigarra.up.pt/sasup/en