Since 1992, integrated/integrates the research team of the following projects, financed by JNICT/FCT:
- Project PEAM/C/TA/278/95, “Estudo Hidrodinâmico das Lamas de Esgoto” (Hydrodynamic study of sewage sludge (concluded in 1996);
- Project PBIC/CEG/2440/95, “Estudo Experimental de Acessórios e Componentes de Sistemas de Tubagens - o Tê a 90º”, (Experimental Study of Components and Fittings of Pipe Network Systems: The 90º Tee Junction), started in 1996 and concluded in June 1999, as the responsible researcher.
- Project PRAXIS XXI/P/ECM/10259/1998, “Perdas de carga em tês de derivação de sistemas de tubagens” (Energy Losses on Pipe Network Tee Junctions), started in July de 1999 and concluded in 2001, extended on a 2nd phase through the project POCTI/ECM/10259/98/2001, concluded in August 2002 as the Responsible researcher.
- Project Sapiens-Proj, 99 POCTI/ECM/36031/2000, “Estudo da Dissipação de Energia em Estruturas Hidráulicas” (Energy Dissipation in Hydraulic Structures), started in July 2001 and concluded in December 2003, as the Responsible researcher.
- Project Sapiens-Proj 2002 refª 46693, “Estudos de Sedimentação e Transporte empregando técnicas analíticas e experimentais” (Study on sedimentation and transport using the latest analytical and experimental techniques), started in October 2004, as the Responsible researcher.
Projects financed by EU
- He was the Responsible Researcher of the research team of FEUP (responsible for the Case Study of Ribeiras do Algarve river basin) participating in the project “Water Strategy Man, Developing Strategies for Regulating and Managing Water Resources and Demand in Water Deficient Regions”, started in January 2002, contract nº EVK1-CT-2001-00098 of the European Commission, which integrates the 5th Framework program (DG XII) and ended in June 2005. This Project involved 9 institutions, one Portuguese (FEUP) and was coordinated by NTUA (Technical University of Athens), Greece.
- He is the Responsible Researcher of the research team of FEUP (responsible for the Case Study of Guadiana river basin) participating in the project “Aquastress, Mitigation of Water Stress through New Approaches to Integrating Management, Technical, Economic and Institutional Instruments”, started in February 2005 contract nº 511231 of the European Commission, which integrates the 6th Framework program. This Project involves 36 institutions, two Portuguese (FEUP and Hidromod) and is coordinated by CNR-IRSA, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Italy.