|The Suspended Bridge was the first real bridge and was built in a favorable place of the river 100m to the east of the Bridge of Boats with a span of 170m.
It was designed by a French engineer, Stanislas Bigot, and was inaugurated in 1843.
The deck made of timber, was suspended by 8 cables, 4 in each side, and each of the cables was made of parallel iron wires.
These cables were supported by granite columns and achored to the rock in each margin. Two of these columns can be seen near D. Luís Bridge.
The free span was 170,15m and 6 m wide (4m for cars and a lateral footpath of 1.00m in each side.